Healthy sperm should register at least 70% forward progressive motility, 90% normal morphology and 200 million total moving sperm for healthy pregnancies.
Total sperm count per ejaculation (not per sample, or milliliter mL) should be 300 million to 2 billion.
Total healthy progressively motile sperm per intra-vaginal insemination should be at least 200 million (see calculation below)
- Motility: capacity of motion. These are sperm cells that are moving, not dead or floating
- Motile Sperms: Sperms that are moving, regardless of direction or velocity
- Progressively Motile Sperms: sperms that are moving in a fairly straight fashion
- M/mL: million per milliliter (1000 milliliters in a liter)
Source: Semen quality and artificial insemination (Proceedings) (dvm360.com)
- With your raw or processed sperm sample, take your averaged reading with the iSperm.
- Write down your total concentration for the sample (in Million/mL)
- Multiply the percentage of progressively motile by the total concentration
- Then, multiply that resulting number by the percentage morphologically normal
- Divide 200 by that number
- The number after line 5 is the minimum mL of that sample you are recommended to inseminate with, pending the sperm passes the checks listed above for progressive motility, concentration, and morphology.
For example, let's say we have a concentration of 450 M/mL (million per milliliter).
The results show progressive motility of 78%. So we multiply 450M/mL by 78% (or 0.78). It is 351.
Next, we have identified that most if not all appear totally normal in shape and size (morphology). Let's give it a 95%. 351 x 0.95 = 333 (Million/mL healthy sperm)
200/333 =0.60 So we have a minimum sample volume of 0.6mL.
If we deposit 10mL AI, we have 333 Million/mL x 10mL = 3,330 million total healthy sperms in that 10mL sample, well over the recommended minimum 200 million total..
However, remember if you are using an extender, or freezing/thawing the sperm for later use, that motility will generally decrease, and the extender will DILUTE that value. So your 333 million per milliliter, mixed with two parts extender, is now 111 million per milliliter.